This is a continuation of a post I made earlier. In this post I am going to give you some tips to make friends when moving to a new city or a new country. Some of you might think this is pretty lame coz you have to just go with the flow to make friends. But sometimes, it is not that simple, especially when you’re new to a place. Just like good relationships, building friendships take time. So here go some dos and don’ts and some tips to become comfortable in your new city.
- Be friendly with your new colleagues, even if they seem cold and distant. Be persistent in acknowledging them when they come in to work every day, even if, actually especially if they don’t acknowledge you.
- Sign up and participate in group activities in your office/department.
- Go to after-work or weekend social gatherings organized in your work place.
- Join clubs or meetups that match your interest and go to at least a few of them consistently.
- If you are okay with living with roommates, then do so, as there is nothing worse than coming back to an empty house after a long and tiring day at work.
- Put in time and effort to make friends with your roommate. Suggest places to hangout, to eat out or sometimes just chill at movie with a bottle of wine/a cup of coffee, whichever you prefer.
- Keep yourself busy in your weekends. If you have no social event planned in your itinerary, just go sight seeing in your new city. Explore new shops, cafes and parks on your own. There’s nothing like spending time with yourself and soaking in the atmosphere.
- Take up at least one new activity, something you had not tried earlier. This is something you can do without inhibition or the fear of being judged, as no one knows you here.
- Also, while you’re still new to the city is the quiet time when you can actually pursue your hobbies that you might have neglected for a while. Go paint if you like to paint or read novels and write blog articles if you are like me.
- This is also the time to catch up with your family and old friends via phone, text, skype.
- And lastly, be patient. Remember friendships take time whenever you feel sad and lonely.
Here’s hoping you have a happy stay in your new city!